LEVEL 01: PROBIOTICS
You must have come across advertisements which show how a sad family becomes happy and active after taking a probiotic drink. It may seem a little bit exaggerated but can probiotic really help you out in becoming fit. Let’s find out how probiotics can assist you in leading a healthy life.
What are probiotics?
We all have mixed population good and bad bacteria in our gut and if the number of good bacteria decreases then it can lead to many digestion problems. Probiotics are live good bacteria which are used as health supplement to ease digestion troubles
Some Benefits of Probiotics from Fitness Point of View are given below:
Studies have found that probiotics can help in reducing weight and body mass index. This weight loss can be increased by taking a variety of good bacteria for eight weeks or more.
Moreover, it can improve your blood sugar level and sensitivity to leptin, a hormone responsible for regulating appetite.
Treat skin problems
Our skin projects the condition of the internal environment on forefront and probiotics help in reducing inflammation which is the major cause of various skin problems like psoriasis, eczema, and rosacea.
The rise in a number of bad bacteria in gut affect the immunity and you have to take antibiotics to treat them. Probiotics can prevent infection caused by harmful bacteria and thus improves your immunity.
Improve your performance
Probiotics help in reducing muscle inflammation and post workout muscle damage caused due to strenuous exercises like weight lifting, hard run or plyometric jumps.
Regular intake of probiotics can significantly improve your physical performance, reduce muscle inflammation and enhance exercise recovery.
Probiotics along with protein supplements not just improve your performance but also enhance your endurance level. These bacteria facilitate the absorption of various nutrients which provides a better nutrient foundation to the muscle cells.
How to Get the Most Out of Your Probiotic?
So if you have decided to give probiotics a try then you must buy a product which works for you. Therefore, you must know few things about probiotics:
- Although there are many types of bacteria in probiotics, lactobacillus and bifidobacterium are commonly used. You can also find these bacteria in dairy and dairy products like yogurt and kefir. Try to opt for a probiotic which contains three or more different strains of bacteria. Multiple strains help in increasing the chances of colonization of different bacteria in your gut.
- Buy a probiotic by keeping your age and gender in mind. Some conditions in women's fitness like urinary tract infection can reduce the good bacteria in the body, therefore, you must choose probiotics which can improve your health e.g. Lactobacillus rhamnosus and Lactobacillus reuteri which are found to be effective in tackling bad bacteria.
- You should look for probiotics with high CFUs (colony forming units). If you are an adult with the normal digestive system then you can opt for 10 – 20 million CFUs. If you are in your old age then you must opt for 20 – 50 billion CFUs and if you have compromised your digestive system or you have been on antibiotics for long period then you must aim for higher CFUs (more than 50 billion).
- Always check the expiry date of the product and store it in cool and dry place especially in a refrigerator. Although, you can store them at room temperature, do remember strains lose their potency at this temperature while refrigerated strains maintain high count over prolong period.
- Add prebiotics into your diet. These are a kind of fibers which promotes the growth of good bacteria. You can get this prebiotics in oatmeal, asparagus, banana, whole grain, flax seed, artichoke, onion, and garlic.
- Add dairy in your diet so that it can neutralize the stomach acid and bile acid so that the live bacteria can reach to your gut safely. Yogurt, cheese, and milk are main dairy products which help in neutralizing the digestive acids.
- You must take probiotics daily at least five days a week to get the good results otherwise the bacterial population might reduce with time.